Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Week 85 - Raul's Baptism, Basilica, New Mission President & Martyrdom Thoughts

Raul's Baptism!

Hey Friends and Family!!

Wow, has this been a FULL week! First of all my day got a lot brighter on Wednesday when I got the package Kenadee sent me!! WAHOO!! It FINALLY made it! I´m still waiting for my Christmas packages from 2014 from my family...but I think I may have lost hope on that one...Love you Kenadee!

Raul's Baptism
Raul was baptized yesterday! It was a really cool baptism! We had to do it at 7PM because his step dad had to work until then. That´s the latest I think I've ever had a baptismal service! Raul was really excited but didn't want a lot of people to come to his baptism...but we invited a lot of people! There were about 30 people there and most of them were youth and children! He also got to go to the stake camp out in another state of Mexico (Tlaxcala) and he said it was SUPER fun! He´s really happy! There is only one active young man right now so we are going to work with him and the Young Men´s President to get a lot of youth going.

Trip to the Basilica
Today we went with Elder Todd and Elder Boyle to the Basilica. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Catholic Church in Mexico, the Basilica is like the Vatican of Mexico. Let me give you a little bit of history. In the early 1530´s they believe the Virgin Mary came and visited a native man named Juan Diego and because of that vision they have created the Basilica. It is a really HUGE place. There are more than 10 churches there and a few of them are HUGE! One of the really old ones is leaning over and looks like it´s about an earthquake away of falling (I took a picture of it!). There is a really cool garden place on the hill where Juan Diego saw "the little virgin" as they say here (la virgencita) that was actually REALLY green and really pretty. The church is still true though. Don´t worry.

Tomorrow is the big day! President Anaya is going home and President Naumann is arriving! They will only have a few hours together and the mission will be under President Naumann´s direction. I´m really happy with all the work President Anaya and his wife have done and I´m excited to see how the new President and his wife will build off of what they have built here.

Joseph & Hyrum statues in Carthage, IL
One hundred and seventy-two years ago today Joseph and his brother Hyrum were martyred in Carthage Jail. I am so grateful for the sacrifice that these men made, consecrating their very lives to this work and sealing that with their blood. It is my pleasure to teach every day of how this Prophet, called and directed by God restored the church that Jesus Christ established nearly 2000 years ago. I know that Joseph Smith is the Prophet of the Restoration. If there is any one of you who doubt that he saw God the Eternal Father and His Son, I invite you to kneel and ask God if it was true. I know that he will tell you that it is true because HE WAS THERE! I know that with all my heart!

I love you all so much! Have a GREAT week!

Love,
Elder Davies



















No comments:

Post a Comment