Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Week 28: Missionary Work, Heat, Rain and... Math?


Kelson's District (minus the Zone Leaders who were in another meeting)

Hey guys! How's America?

Things are going good here, been a little slow lately! We only had two investigators in church yesterday, and one of them was someones boyfriend we had never met and doesn't want anything, so really we only had one, Francisca. That's okay we are working with her! She and her son, Sergio, have been taking the lessons, but her family has said some stuff to her about us that scared her like we were going to separate her and her son or something so she got a little scared and believed what she heard but now she came back so we are back working with them! Hope things pull through there.

David (the 10 year old whose mom and grandma are members) is coming along too. We have very little left to teach him we are just waiting for him to get his answer that the church is true and then we will throw him in the freezing-cold waters of baptism. He is really great, he is a very smart and loving kid. He'd make a good Bishop. He actually said he wanted to be Bishop, so we told him he has to get baptized first haha! And he wants to go to France on his mission! He LOVES soccer so we are gonna try and get him to go play with the other youth at the church!

Leticia is coming along too. Her mom (who is sick in bed from a heart attack) and brother (with Epilepsy) is too, but he just got put into the hospital because he was having some really bad struggles and they were worried about his safety and the safety of the family so he has been gone since mid last week. It's gonna be hard to get Leticia to the church because she can't leave her mom and her mom can't leave the bed...so we will see what happens there.

We have been a little bummed about Erick he is never home and STILL hasn't come to church. He always says he will, but then we can't get a hold of him Sunday and he doesn't come. He is a great guy we just gotta TEACH him! We have only taught him once and he wanted to get baptized and everything. He also is my dream investigator because I have always dreamed to find a Mexican that likes American Country music...and HE DOES! He lived int he states a lot of years and he said he LOVED country music. So that is a cool thing!

Rain in Mexico City
So it rains here. Every. Day. Like every day it starts normal and gets hot and then at like 5 all the sudden with NO warning these clouds run in and pour rain. It is SO cool! I actually really love the rain! It reminds me of Nauvoo rain because it is so strong when it rains. I LOVE Nauvoo rain storms! But in Nauvoo it never rained during the missionary work, but here it does. So we just keep on going! We don't like to use umbrellas because we look like other religious ministers, but sometimes we don't wanna get wet so we do it anyway. Hey mom that $5 umbrella we threw in at the last second was a great idea! Thanks!

Dad Notes on weather and rainfall in Mexico City: 
  • On average, the warmest month(s) are April and May.
  • Most rainfall (rainy season) is seen in June, July, August and September.
  • Mexico City has dry periods in January, February, March, April, November and December.
  • On average, the warmest month is May.
  • On average, the coolest month is January.
  • July is the wettest month.
  • February is the driest month.
So I got to do MATH this week! MATH! I forgot about that! Our Bishop is studying engineering and he had an Algebra problem that he was working on for like 4 hours and I helped him with it and DANG it was hard! I'm gonna give you all this problem and if any of you figure it out I will give you a big hug in a year and a half, okay ready? I'm gonna translate the math question...

There is a magazine stand with a certain number of magazines. There are three types of magazines: Cars, Sports, and Gossip Magazines. 50% of the Car Magazines plus 60% of the Sports magazines make up 30% of the total number of magazines. 20% of the car magazines plus 60% of the sports magazines plus 60% of the Gossip magazines make up 50% of the total number of magazines. There are 50 more Sports magazines than Car Magazines. How many total magazines are there and how man are there of each kind?

It seems simple at first then your mind just gets destroyed because some math teacher is just laughing at us all but jokes on him, I figured it out! HA!

Well yeah things are going good here. I love this work and I love the Lord. I'm grateful for the chance I have to serve and I know I am so imperfect and like King Benjamin said, even if I worked 100% of all I could I would still be unprofitable to the Lord because he gives me immediate blessings and many greater blessings to come when I serve him; I don't serve him to pay him back (I can't ever pay him back...), I serve him because I LOVE him. And I love you all too!!

Elder Davies

P.S. Here are some photos with the mission in the mission conference with Elder Christensen-

Where's Waldo... er... Elder Davies?
Hint:  He is always in the middle of everything, right? (click to enlarge)

Picture of Elder Christensen addressing the Mexico City East Mission


No comments:

Post a Comment